[tlug] Readline, editing-mode vi, and reverse-i-search

My .inputrc looks like this:

    set editing-mode vi
    set match-hidden-files off
    set completion-ignore-case on
    Tab: complete

However, when using bash (unlike the standard Bourne-like shells),
whether I'm in edit mode or input mode pressing Ctrl-R, instead of
refreshing the (generally misdrawn) input line I'm working on, it
instead prints "(reverse-i-search)`':" followed by the line and I end up
in an Emacs search mode.

Does anybody (Hello Stephen!) know how to make this do the "right" thing
and just reprint the current line? Note that I don't want it doing what
Ctrl-L does, which first clears the screen before reprinting the current
line.

cjs
                   http://www.starling-software.com