Re: [tlug] eskimo.com down ?

Quoting JC Helary:
> I found a local hosting server and we are doing the changes now.

Good news!

> I have a question, what about the mails that have been sent to my named
> address ? Are they going to be lost until the domain name information is
> updated or are they lost forever ?

Since the mail servers and name servers were completely unreachable during
this outage, any mail for your domain has been queued up in the outbound
mail servers of the people/robots sending you mail. Depending on the
settings of those mail servers, (a) some of those messages might have been
already returned to the sender with an error message, (b) some senders
might have received a warning that initial delivery attempts failed
but that the servers would keep trying, or (c) the messages could still
simply be in the queue waiting.

In cases b and c, the sending mail servers will keep retrying for some
time, and when mail servers serving your somain are visible once again,
they will dutifully deliver the queued messages. In case a, it will
be up to the original author to send it again.

--
()  Patrick (L.) Bernier <pat@example.com>
()  http://www.TZoNE.ORG/~pat/