Re: [tlug] Need advice to choose a router

> From: Jianshi Huang <jianshi.huang@example.com>
> Subject: Re: [tlug] Need advice to choose a router
> Hi Yann,
>
> Maybe searching on kakaku.com is a good idea.
>
> http://kakaku.com/pc/wireless-router/
>
> I'm using AirStation NFINITI HighPower Giga WZR-HP-G300NH, it works perfect.

Hi TLUG,
thanks again for all your advices. Sorry but i have another "noob's question" :)

I am now going forward and saw a 7000Y model at BigCamera: a Fonera2.0
which looks good (i need b/g wireless for 2 ubuntu9.04 pc) but I am
wondering if it will be ok because Wikipedia
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FON#Fonera_2.0n) says that it does not
have a built-in modem and needs to be connected to a dsl-modem or
router. ???

so this "fonera" model is not what we call a "router"? i don't
understand the difference.
For another model (like "AirStation NFINITI"), do i need also to be
connected to a dsl-modem or router ?

For the moment I can access internet via my LAN cable directly to the
wall connection , and without any router. (i enter my NTT
login/password in the "DSL" tab of NetworkManager).
Does this mean that my flat's building has a central "dsl-modem"
behind my wall (shared between all flats) ?
if yes , does this mean I can use this "fonera" model ?

Woww, by the way: if you use Ubuntu, don't forget to test your
internet connection with live-cd before upgrading to 9.10 because this
last version has serious NetworkManager bugs.

Thanks in advance for any answer :)
~Yann