Re: [tlug] Need advice to choose a router

Michael Bitker wrote:
Those are still in existence?

Choose a router that supports the installation of Open-WRT
(http://openwrt.org/) or DD-WRT (http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/index) and you
should be happy ever after.

Niels

I've been considering switching to one of these, but I get panic
attacks when I check
and double check and triple check the model numbers to make sure that I don't
drop ¥6,000 on something with incompatible hardware. It seems my Corega router
uses pretty standard hardware, but I'm too chicken to flash it and end
up with no
internet until I can replace it. xD

-Mike

Yes, it's always good to check the supported hardware list closely before buying if your goal is to run one of these firmwares.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices

Some devices, like the Linksys WRT line, have gone through hardware revisions some of which are not capable of running the full DD-WRT and the revision numbers aren't always printed on the box.

Kyle