Re: [tlug] Permissions on local Apache web testing environment

Hmm...

On Sat, Oct 31, 2009 at 20:35, Dave M G <dave@example.com> wrote:
> TLUG,
>
> So, last week, my computer exploded. The CPU and or motherboard died,
> leaving me with no choice but to pretty much rebuild my computer.
>
> Which I did. Fortunately, unlike other times in the past, I had a
> complete and full backup of everything. It is sooooo much less stressful
> when you have complete backups.
>
> Anyway, the thing is, even though I have all the files, now that I have
> placed all my web sites back into their usual spots and set up my
> httpd.conf and hosts files as they were, my sites are behaving very strange.
>
> It seems that the permissions might not have carried over properly,
> because the errors I am getting say things like:
> "failed to open stream: Permission denied..."
>
> So I tried to find out what the permissions should be, and modify all
> the files, and tried these commands:
>
> sudo find /local/location/of/web/sites/ -type f -exec chmod 0664 {} \;
> sudo find /local/location/of/web/sites/ -type d -exec chmod 0755 {} \;
>
> But I'm still seeing "Permission denied" errors.
>
> So todays questions are:
>
> What should the permissions on my files and folders be for the local
> Apache server to use them?
>
> Do I need to set ownership or something?
>
> What am I missing here?
>
> Any advice much appreciated.

A bit more info would be helpful...
What version of apache?
Where are you seeing this errors? In which log?
Is it just plain html involved or some other CGI, etc. scripts.?
Are the files present in the system and what are their permissions?
What user does apache run as?
Do you have virtual hosts, or one instance running?
Is it regular binary install, or from source?
If you can paste at least a line or two of the actual error log it
would be easier.
What distribution is it?

Cheers,
Kalin.