Re: [tlug] [Fwd: Search MySQL for Japanese Names]

Hi,

Since there can be multiple readings of kanji, typical user interfaces
ask for furigana (= katakana) input as well, so your DB will have a
separate column for katakana anyway, so I guess your problem will be
solved "naturally". Why not?

As far as I can recall, the ascending order just by kanji is "funny".
So probably you will want to order by the katakana column. I would
load some dummy data and run a couple of queries to test.

And, use full-width katakana (zenkaku), never ever ever ever half
width! (If you look at Japanese user-interfaces, they use full-width
most of the time if not always, so this approach is quite normal.)

Cheers,
Janos