Re: [tlug] Firewall options

Your requirements look fairly lightweight. For a low cost alternative I would suggest looking at:

http://m0n0.ch/wall/

http://www.pfsense.org/

PFSense also includes failover capabilities.

Good luck!

Romeo

On Mon, Oct 5, 2009 at 11:10, Jason Hall <jason@example.com> wrote:
I'm looking for some firewall options and don't really understand the
hardware arena well enough to know what's available.

Here are some requirements:
- We have an internal user network for a dozen people
- We have a handful of servers - primarily basic web stuff (http, ssh
for administration)
- We're using USEN - multiple IPs, no PPPoE requirement
- Our web traffic is growing - throughput & stability are important
- Having 3, 4, or more physical ports would be good for a DMZ, wireless
network etc.
- We only have a handful of ports open on different addresses to the
different servers - nothing fancy or special running (vpn etc)
- No special features for users is required - proxy, virus/spam
filtering etc (our email is handled offsite), dhcp etc could be handled
by one of the servers.
- Failover capability to add later on would be a nice bonus.
- It's a non-profit educational environment so cost is a factor,
however, we can purchase from the US for little additional cost. (An
English interface would be preferred.)

I'm thinking that some sort of hardware firewall appliance gadget would
be a good option for easy power cycling etc if necessary.

Any recommendations or suggestions for things to look at?

- Jason

ASAHI Net.
Visit ASAHI Net's English-language Web page: http://asahi-net.jp/en/

--