Re: [tlug] Docked Laptop Dilemma

On 2009-10-03 11:44 -0600 (Sat), David J Iannucci wrote:

> I have a very nice Thinkpad at work which I keep docked most of the
> time, and which I use in a dual monitor setup... ...I'd like to
> occasionally undock it and take it to meetings, then bring it back,
> redock it, and continue working as I was.
>
> Unfortunately I've never been very much successful in this, *apparently*
> (it seems to me) because the OS is "talking" to various external devices
> (primarily the monitor, but also possibly USB devices, etc), and if it
> "wakes up" and finds those devices gone, it tends to have a negative
> reaction, and need rebooting in short order.

Have you tried undocking it while it's running, and suspending or
hibernating only after you undock it? Alternatively, you could try to
boot it out of the dock, and then only dock it afterwards.

However, I'm guessing that you may have an Intel graphics chip, as many
ThinkPads do, and there are going to be some issues there, too, since
the drivers for that do not deal terribly well with adding and removing
monitors, as I've found to my annoyance on my X61.

These days I've been using a mirrored configuration; using the external
monitor in native resolution when it's hooked up, and just the internal
(with a desktop larger than the screen) when it's undocked.