[tlug] kernel performance - torvalds interview

Citing an internal Intel study that tracked kernel releases, Bottomley
[Novel engineer interviewing Torvalds] said Linux performance had
dropped about two per centage points at every release, for a
cumulative drop of about 12 per cent over the last ten releases.

Torvalds -- "The kernel is huge and bloated, and our icache footprint
is scary. I mean, there is no question about that. And whenever we add
a new feature, it only gets worse."

"Okay, so the summary of this is that you expect that 12 per cent to
be back to where it should be next year, and you expect someone else
to come up with a plan to do it," joked Bottomley. "That's open
source."

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2009/09/22/linus_torvalds_linux_bloated_huge/