[tlug] gtk-2 print w/o CUPS?

Anyone know how to print using a gtk-2 app without using CUPS?

Specifically, I use lpd/lpr and I want to print from Firefox 3.5. (But the
same print dialog is in other apps like GIMP and Inkscape...) There is no
printer displayed... just an option to print to a file. And no way to tell
the app how I want to print (no printer definition dialog).

The printbackend for gtk2 at
/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/printbackends/

contains a libprintbackend-lpr.so file so I would guess it's possible.

Also the gedit (which I don't use) page at
http://library.gnome.org/users/gedit/stable/gedit-print-file.html.en
seems to say that gedit can do it.

Any help mucho apperciated....

Ed