Re: [tlug] Method/tools to create a video from images, but with control of when the images and for how long they show.

On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 10:32:53PM +0900, Tod McQuillin wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Aug 2009, zev wrote:
>
> > I am looking into methods to create a video from a set of images.
> > The catch is that I want to show the images at specific times.
> >
> > Such as show image 1 at start (0) until 2.5 seconds
> > Then show image 2 at 2.5 seconds until 4 seconds.
> > Next show image 3 at 4 seconds until 9 seconds.
> > And so on.
> >
> > I see that both ImageMagick's convert and ffmpeg/mencoder have the
> > ability create a video (avi,mpeg, etc) from a group of images, but it
> > appears that the images are all show for a uniform set of time.
>
> One low-rent way to do it is to use the tools you have:  convert or
> ffmpeg/mencoder.
>
> Yes, they can only make movies by using a separate image for each frame at
> fixed time intervals, but there is nothing stopping you from making many
> identical frames very cheaply by hard-linking files.  The OS is even smart
> about caching so you will read the same frame out of the file cache each
> time you encode it.

Not sure this is going to work but alternatively I was thinking that you
could make many video files, one out of every image, and cat them
together, cat-ting the same file multiple times if you need to make the
same image display longer.
Say that this would move the scripting to the film editing phase and you
could even add some transition effect here and there using avidemux to
join the "scene" cuts.

PS: isn't iMovie for OSX (do you have any OSX hanging around?) providing
any such images-to-movie facility?
--
mattia
:wq!