Re: [tlug] search for encrypted information exchange

On 2009-08-27 16:45 +0900 (Thu), Bruno Raoult wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 15:17, David Shanahan <david@example.com> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 2:47 AM, Curt Sampson <cjs@example.com>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > * Modulo the usual attacks involving getting the key out of the DRAM
> > > of the now-shut-down machine by reading the trace currents left in the
> > > capacitors.
> > >

> > God I hate it when they do that. Happens to me all the time.
>
> You too, really? I thought I was the only one. Alleluia, I am not alone!

Obviously this is currently an attack that only well-funded adversaries
will be carrying out. But it is worth contemplating, because it will only
get cheaper and easier.

Once it's cheap and easy enough, whether it's actually used or not
becomes irrelevant. Today, someone losing a laptop with an unencrypted
disk containing sensitive information gets nowhere by arguing that
most laptops are stolen just for the resale value of the hardware, and
that nobody's likely to use the information on the disk to someone's
disadvantage.

cjs
                   http://www.starling-software.com