Re: [tlug] search for encrypted information exchange

On 2009-08-25 18:04 +0900 (Tue), Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

> svn commit is equivalent to git push, requiring equal amounts of
> discipline.

Bzzt! Thank you for playing.

The git process has more steps that need to be performed manually,
(commit, pull, push vs. just commit), more states (locally modified,
locally committed, remotely committed vs. locally modified and
committed), needs several different ways of checking those states
(there's no "svn status" to tell you what you have that the rest of the
world doesn't), and many more opportunities for silent errors (such as
pushing to the wrong repo).

>From your statement, I'd almost thing you hadn't used subversion.
Subversion certainly requires much less discipline than git when you
want to stay in very close co-ordination with other committers on a
branch, simply because you all actually *are* on the same branch,
whereas with git you're always forced to work on a separate branch from
everyone else.

(Note I'm not saying that git doesn't have advantages in other
situations, or even other advantages in situations like this, if you
have the discipline. But keep in mind, I'm a pretty darn disciplined guy
myself who tends towards and uses a lot of low-ceremony methodology, and
I'm balking a bit at this.)

> The difference is that the git user probably has a local copy recorded
> in her branch, while the Subversion user has to remember to branch.

To restate: the whole point is that you really don't want separate
branches happening when the VCS can never merge for you.

> Again, the git UI encourages more robust, more secure practice.

In this case, not, I think; given the situation, files will always
completely conflict, and thus subversion will always leave you with
copies of both files, so that's not an issue. What is important is that
you work very hard to minimize the number of conflicts and, when they
happen, ensure that they happen as soon as possible.

>  > (If you use tools, you usually end up putting plaintext on disk.)
>
> Do this work in a VM that doesn't have any physical disks mounted, and
> gets the originals via a non-file-system network protocol.  That's
> proof of concept, there are lots of other ways.

Yes, I can think of dozens of ways to spend dozens of hours setting up
more things to help get me out of complex situations of my own creation.
That doesn't mean I actually want to spend the time doing that, rather
than, say, working on something that generates revenue.

cjs
                   http://www.starling-software.com