Re: [tlug] SSDs

Le mercredi 12 août 2009, Lyle H Saxon a écrit :

> when I am opening file after file (since each scene recorded with my
> video camera is a different file), there's an unpleasant "thunk"
> (well, not exactly "thunk", but something close to it) when I open the
> file.  By copying over a batch of files to the SSD, when I continually
> open and close them, there is no irritating/scary "thunk" noise, so I
> imagine less "wear & tear".  With constant access, I think an HDD is

Might be the frequent unload bug.
http://ata.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Known_issues#Drives_which_perform_frequent_head_unloads_under_Linux

Check with smartctl your unload cycle count before and after noise:
Start_Stop_Count or like (mine is labeled as Load_Cycle_Count).

If it is increasing, you might be able to fix it with the right hdparm value.
If not please report.

I personally got a 100k value (300k lifetime) with a Toshiba MK8025GAS in only
few months :/

Francois