Re: [tlug] [OT] Japan and 海外 credit cards

> To make matters worse, I've read that you must have been in Japan at
> least 6 months or have a job to be able to open a japanese bank
> account and since I've been here only for two weeks and don't have a
> job at the moment I can't get a japanese credit card.

I got a bank account (and credit card) with Mitsui-Sumitomo when I
studied here back in 2005.  I had no job, and not even an alien
registration card at the time.

So unless things have changed (although they might have since 2005), I
don't think you need a job.   You might need at least proof that
you've applied for an Alien registration card though.

You should still be able to make credit-card purchases at regular
retailer shops if they say they accept Visa.  Online purchases might
not work depending on whether the merchant account they are set up
with are willing to accept an order without being able to instantly
verify the card.   (Which is a good idea because fraud is so easy
online).

Brick and mortar shops have more accepting merchant accounts which are
willing to wait (up to) a week before actually being able to charge
the card.

The ATM system here is completely different, so you wont have any luck
with cash-out, or your non-Japanese bank card, unless it's a special
ATM or the post office.

Eduardo