Re: [tlug] options when running out of external connectors: Use USB Hubs?

On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 2:26 PM, Curt Sampson<cjs@example.com> wrote:
> On 2009-07-30 22:39 +0900 (Thu), Gernot Hassenpflug wrote:
>
>> I've actually bought a (6-port) USB card to tide me over, I'm actually
>> not too trusting of the hubs, while considering one of several larger
>> items next month (budgeting).
>
> I'm not sure what's not to trust in the hubs; they're an integral part
> of USB, and I'd be far more concerned about problems with the drives
> themselves. And, as I said, they won't make any difference at all to the
> speed unless you're transferring data from multiple drives on the same
> hub at the same time.

I had trouble with two hubs I bought: one simply refused to work with
my desktop running linux (it was detected, but nothing I plugged into
it was able to be detected), but worked fine with a laptop running
Windows; another I bought burned out when I attached it to a Mac OS
laptop (it had a separate power supply. There was a burning smell, and
it simply did not work, not recognized, nothing). Hence I view these
things with some trepidation, not knowing how to tell a reliable one
from one that is not. I had some bad luck with the choices I made.

Regards, Gernot