Re: [tlug] dedicating program to a particular core through the OS

Hi Gernot,

Gernot Hassenpflug wrote:

1) is the above useful (I am under the impression that multi-core is
another way to say "SMP").

The communication delays are different as is often the degree of shared cache. It costs more to move a process to another SMP CPU than to another core on the same CPU.

2) if so, can this be done under linux as well? And if so, would it be
useful or would it be better to let linux decide "load-sharing" by
itself---I understand that tuning an SMP system is a full-time job!

If you understand the way your processes interact you can often improve the Linux scheduler's process<->core allocation.

sudo apt-get install schedtool

NAME
       schedtool - query and set CPU scheduling parameters

DESCRIPTION
schedtool can set all CPU scheduling parameters Linux is capable of or display information for given processes.