Re: [tlug] Visiting Tokyo from USA

On Mon, 22 Jun 2009 20:52:17 -0400
"David M. Zendzian" <dmz@example.com> wrote:

> Konichiwa y'all,
>    I will be visiting Japan on business (from South Carolina, hence the
> y'all) and will have a few days in Tokyo and wondered if anyone had any
> suggestions on what a geek can do while in town and not knowing his way
> around.  I've been to Osaka and Kyoto before but never Tokyo.

Hmm.. Tokyo... I like the atmosphere in Kyoto better ;-)

Well, if you've never been in Tokyo, then you have to go
to Shinjuku and Shibuya, the liveliness there is quite unique.
Best is IMHO to take the train to one and then walk to the other
trough the Yoyogi Park (takes about half an hour).

The gothic girls in Harajuku might be also worth a visit.

If you like Katanas, then the Katana Museum a little bit
south of Shinjuku might be something, though it's rather
small (like most of the museums i've been in Japan).

For computer and anime freaks, Akihabara is a must, though
i'm not sure where that part of the city is heading for
(it changed quite a bit in recent years)

If you like anime, then the "life size" gundam statue in Odaiba
(for the 30 years gundam celebration) is something.

The electronics stuff in Odaiba are worth a visit even if you
are not into computers, though i've only walked past a few
things once, so cannot say more.

The museums in Ueno are IMHO worth a visit, but don't show much
about japan itself. The Edo Museum would be better if you want
to see the old Japan.

If you want to see the city, i suggest a walk from Shibuya
to Tokyo-eki (takes about 4h, slow walking) or from Shinjuku
to Ueno (also about 4h).

The Tokyo Tower is IMHO only worth a visit on a clear day
_after_ rain, the summers in Tokyo are too humid to see far.

If you want to eat something good, try the tonkatsu restaurant
on the 8th floor of the shopping building across the street of
the apple store in ginza.

>   I saw that the 11th has a LUG meeting.  I'm not sure where my admin
> will be booking my hotel but I'm adventurous and like to meet geeks and
> other free thinkers (indymedia or such) whenever I travel.

Travelling within Tokyo isn't a problem. The metro system is very well
developed, they have a comprehensible code system for the lines and
stations that even gajins who dont know japanese can understand.
And if everything fails, the city diameter is so small that you can
walk to most places if you have to.
Just to tips here: Don't trust any compass in Tokyo. The magnetic
fields in the city are so strong that it'll point anywere.
Be carefull in the train stations in Shinjuku and Shibuya. Both
are like a maze that might keep the unwarry traveller busy for
an hour trying to find the right exit. If you ever get lost in one
of those, it's easier to just take the next best exit and walk
around the station outside.

HTH
			Attila Kinali