Re: [tlug] UQ WiMAX, other ubiquitous internet access, and Linux laptops

On 6/22/2009 4:30 PM, Dave M G wrote:
TLUG,

I'm thinking of getting some kind of service so that I can have internet
access for my laptop wherever I go in the city. My laptop is Xubuntu 9.04.

I was kind of hoping that UQ WiMAX service would be accessible directly
from the wireless receiver built into my laptop, but it seems to need
some kind of device to connect (maybe I'm wrong about that).

http://www.uqwimax.jp/

If it needs some kind of USB device, then there's the potential of not
having the right device driver support available for Linux.

So I'm wondering if anyone is using any of the available
internet-for-laptop services with a Linux OS, and if they have any
advice about what to get. Whether you get one of the cellular services
or WiFi access, you seem to need a device, which concerns me.

Oh, and I am aware of wireless "hotspot" services like Mzone and
whatnot, but I'm looking for the ability to roam outside of hotspots.

Thanks for any advice.

Emobile D03HW and D02HW work out of the box on Ubuntu 9.04 using gnome-ppp. Neither works with network-manager-gnome but I guess that doesn't matter for you. pon and wvdial should also work. Coverage is good in most areas but spotty in the country [http://emobile.jp/area/areamap.html?3] .

I have a bit of remorse about not getting the 5.8M HSUPA D23HW but it's a new product so Linux support has not been verified as far as I know.

I'm also interested to hear about Linux support for UQ WiMAX and wondering how well it works in basement restaurants and izakaya.

Kyle