Re: [tlug] OT: Does Jose support Fidel? (Was "Linux is Libertarian!")

Raedwolf Summoner writes:

 > Carlos Franqui does mention that he always heard, "This wouldn't be
 > happening if only Fidel knew about it."

OK, well, as I say, I don't know any Cubanos well enough to think
they'd trust me with hon'ne.  Franqui's book ... do you think that
would do as the first real book in Spanish I've read since Don
Quixote?  (And that was 35 years ago. :-)

 > He says that in the months following the revolution, the revolutionary
 > heroes were so wildly popular that it would have been difficult to
 > find any Cuban who did not support the revolution. Five years later,
 > according to Franqui, you would have been extremely hard-pressed to
 > find one who did.

Heh.  Well, I never did believe Grace Slick's version of revolution,
let alone John Lennon's.  Great music, though.

 > The left-media's love affair with Fidel and Che make it difficult
 > to find the darker portraits.

And Bush approving waterboarding makes it impossible to tell the good
guys from the bad guys until you see the whites of their hats.  Oh, well.

 > > ROTFLMAO!  No, it's a gnu, and it's a caricature of Stallman.  If you
 > > don't know what Stallman looks like and can't find a photo online,
 > > he's a dead ringer for that Asahara dude of Aum Shinrikyo fame.
 >
 > Yeah, I know what he looks like, and the Asahara comparison is
 > close enough, though I wouldn't have thought of it.

Oh, there was a *great* page up at one time, with a photo of Asahara
floating in the air (Aum propaganda, I guess) on the right side of the
page and the levitating GNU cartoon on the left.  The caption was
something like 偶然な似顔?

 > The Gnu, though, doesn't look like him at all to me. Maybe when he
 > was younger?

Saa...

 > Really? I always thought that "free" software was the stuff you
 > didn't have to pay for but couldn't mess with the code or pass
 > along with any alterations or without attributional genuflections
 > to the authors.

No, requirement of attributional genuflection is allowed; the original
BSD license requirement of publishing all the named contributors in
any advertisement, as well as the TeX and Perl requirements that if
you change the behavior you call it something else, are consistent
with freedom.  Further, to be free, *all* messing with the code and
passing along to arbitrary parties (including pedophiles and nuclear
weapons designers, not to mention Jamie Zawinksi ... I think I've got
somebody to offend everybody there) must be allowed.

 > > "enemies of freedom".  These are the 2d Amendment-toting gun nuts and
 > > economic libertarians, too.
 >
 > Sounds like my kinda people.

You proto-backslider, you!

 > Thanks for an interesting review of the movement.

Yer welcome.

Indeed-I-contribute-greatly-to-global-atmospheric-warming-ly y'rs,