Re: [tlug] OT: Linux is Libertarian! (was "about iphone")

On Sun, Jun 14, 2009 at 12:59 PM, Raedwolf Summoner<raroofu@example.com> wrote:
> <section on communism>

I would have to say that no modern government, nor one that existed in
the last several centuries has really approached the ideals of
communism.  I think you said it best when you said they purport to be
communism.  That is about it.

> See, now you've already lost me. The only thing I "know" about GNU is that
> "GNU is Not Unix". I'm afraid you are entering into a philosophical debate
>
> You are, of course, referring to the inimitable Richard Stallman. I've read

Stalman at this point is becoming the biggest problem behind GNU (At
least in the public eye).  I cannot fault him 100%, because he has
done a lot over the years that is deserving of respect.  However,
eventually, most leaders become senile.  It happens to the best of
them, and when it does they should be replaced somehow.  His time came
at least four to five years ago.  ^^;;

GPLv3 simply stands as the final evidence against him, in my opinion.

> Btw, is that GNU symbol (the goat's head?) supposed to represent the devil?

It's not a goat.  It is a Gnu, a kind of bison.

> I thought that by distinguishing between "free as in beer" and "free as in
> speech" that I had that covered.

GNUv2 was free as in speech, not as an in beer.

GNUv3 is certainly not free as in speech, but they adamantly demand
that you hand over the beer. ^^;;

--
Ken