Re: [tlug] (OT) The enigma of Japan

On mercredi 10 juin 09, at 16:23, Josh Glover wrote:

2009/6/9 JC Helary <brandelune@example.com>:

As far as human societies are concerned, I don't think there is
anything like "orthodoxy" or "effectiveness". It is all messy and not
by the rules.

Yes, but surely you can see examples of cultures that value "the
rules" more than others. Consider the public transport systems of
Japan and Germany. Compare them to the English and American ones (I
mean, in American cities that actually *have* public transport). Let's
not even consider the horror that is the Irish public "transport"
"system". ;)

The only public transportation systems I can compare are the French one and the Japanese one.

What I can say is that French trains, stations, facilities in general are seemingly more often degraded that their Japanese counterpart.

One explanation I have, empirical as it may be, is that the Japanese system respects the user. Conductors don't bug you when you do not have your ticket, you can either buy it from them of at the exit. You can put your feet on the seats here, at the condition that you remove your shoes. "System people" are polite and try to solve your problems (in general).

In France, it is pretty much the opposite of what I described for Japan. Everything, from the entrance to the exit is made to make you feel under pressure. There is no respect whatsoever for users, no systematic politeness (you can find polite service individuals though). And there is systemic suspicion that the user is trying to abuse the system. Which may or may not be true, but the social costs of such a suspicious system are huge and actually contribute to generating the abuse.

In Japan, rules are easy (easier ?) to follow, and they don't involve giving up any right to a decent treatment. There may be a punishment if the rule is not followed but the punishment is generally not explicitly put right under your nose.

Needless to say I prefer this transportation system, even if I consider it to be uselessly noisy.

Behind all this is a culture of obedience that of course we do not have in France. A culture where kids are made to internalize a strict senpai/kohai social structure from their early age, structure that will later be a frame for much of their social conduct. It is an inherently violent structure/society that shapes humans as obedient creatures (sweeping generalization warning). They don't need to be told they'll be punished if they don't obey because they know they will. It is not (only) their sempai at school that will scold them for a-social behavior, but the dokyusei will not approve and the teachers neither.

The system works well because the acknowledged hierarchy (client above service people) makes it work that way, and you can see sometimes service people take shit from (mostly drunk but not only) customers a way that is impossible in France -you'd have a dozen subway police thugs come instantly and take the guy away... Internalized violence can easily be unleashed when you set the system to work the other way round, when you define a lower state being that can take shit without saying anything...

Jean-Christophe Helary