Re: [tlug] (OT) The enigma of Japan

On mercredi 10 juin 09, at 17:03, Jonathan Byrne wrote:

George W. Bush: claims to be a Republican but acted more like a big
government Democrat.

Barack Obama: at least he's honest about it.

Ok, we are really drifting away from Japanese waters, but I'm curious about that expression: "big government" that we see all over the place when it comes to US politics.

My understanding (failed as it may be) is that big government = surveillance society/police-military state and all the good that comes with it, _not_ social welfare.

A cursory look at US history shows that the 2 parties were very active from the "beginning" to create the big government that I mean and are have never stopped since.

Jean-Christophe Helary