Re: [tlug] (OT) The enigma of Japan

On Tue, Jun 9, 2009 at 5:34 PM, Michael Bitker<mbitker@example.com> wrote:
> You guys must have skipped past all the parts where he explains his
> reasons for writing this book. Main among these was his wanting to
> balance all of the naively wonderful things he wrote about Japan and
> her culture when he was writing for Lonely Planet. It was his
> intention to demonstrate that there were (and still are!) deep
> problems in this country we (most of us) now live in.

That certainly makes sense.  When I lived in Vietnam years ago, I
found that there was a pretty glaring discrepancy between life on the
ground, and what was in the book.  Lonely Planet books are great for
short-term travel and tourism, but beyond 3-5 days of travel,
inconsistencies arise.

Now you've intrigued me to pick up the book, thank you.  :D

--
Doug McLean

Blog: http://nihonshukyo.wordpress.com/