Re: [tlug] (OT) The enigma of Japan (was: UNIX jobs on TLUG)

On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 13:39, Martin Killmann <martin@example.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 02 Jun 2009 10:40:50 +0900
> "Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen@example.com> wrote:

> But if you plan to stay in Japan for longer than 5 years learning
> Japanese properly is essential. Otherwise there will always be a barrier
> between you and what's happening in the country.

It is more than essential. It is 150% needed. If you want to stick in
your own world, fine. But if you actually want to live here and
actually get whats going on, learn japanese. I just can't understand
foreigners who live here for 10 years or more and can't even say one
word in japanese.

> As for Wolferen's book, that one was introduced to us in class with the
> words: "He was in Japan for 12 years and he still didn't speak Japanese".
> (the worst insult in Japanese Studies)
> If you want to get an understanding of Japan that leads to practical
> insights, stay away from all books that try to sell Japan as "unique",
> "mysterious", "better than $COUNTRY" or "worse than $COUNTRY".

so true :D

--
Clemens Schwaighofer
gullevek@example.com / gullevek@example.com