Re: [tlug] OT: A Good Read

On Mon, May 25, 2009 at 1:04 PM, CL <az.4tlug@example.com> wrote:
> The Case for Working With Your Hands
> http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/24/magazine/24labor-t.html?_r=1&emc=eta1
In Vietnam, local floods come every time it is raining[1].
The bike won't start again once you stop the engine.
Bike repairers don't need to think where is the problem
because the cause is quite predictable.

Most of the bike repairers here work by their experience,
they don't have to get a PhD to do that. I fix ( my buggy) software for
and they fix bike for milk and bread.

It is fun to compare fixing a bike and debugging a software.
However, the most metaphor I've heard is building/fixing a house,
not a bike.

The COCOMO 1 and 2 - which is invented 30+ years ago is not true anymore.
We can't calcalate/predict the number of KLOC of programs the developement
is finished.

Repairing  a bike means that, we find out the broken part of the bike and
replace with a new part. But as far as I know, in software, we can't
simply do so.
The complexity has changed.

Even when we have the source code, rewrite entirely a module is not always
a good idea and we have to fix just some lines.

[1] http://www.vnexpress.net/GL/Xa-hoi/2009/05/3BA0F594/

--
Best Regards,
Nguyen Hung Vu [aka: NVH] ( in Vietnamese: Nguyễn Vũ Hưng )