[tlug] OT: A Good Read

CL writes:

 > An interesting argument for getting out and wrenching on something
 > instead of sitting in front of a screen all day ...

Why did I feel like I was reading an abstract of Pirsig ... oh, yeah,
this guy did write a lot of abstracts.  At least this time he was
allowed to make sure the abstract contained the appropriate content!
:-)

Seriously, I didn't see anything there on the personal level that I
didn't see 35 years ago in *Zen and the Art of Motorcycle
Maintenance*.  What was more interesting to me was the implications
for society, especially for the educational system.  Even in the 80s,
I saw an awful lot of students who didn't belong in college.  Not
because they couldn't handle the work, but because doing the work
wasn't especially good for them, and the employment they were being
prepared for was going to be bad for them.  They really should be
doing something else.  20 years later, same deal, maybe more so (hard
to tell because I crossed the Pacific along the way...).

Why am I listening to Stevie Wonder singing "Blowin' in the Wind" at
this exact moment, I wonder?

It-don't-take-a-wolf-to-answer-that-one-ly y'rs,

Steve