Re: [tlug] how to use makedepend?

Edward Middleton writes:

 > My point was that Miles hasn't explained in sufficient detail 1. what he
 > is trying to do 2. what he has done.  I don't know what the standard
 > practice is on debian based distros but when cross compiling with
 > openembeeded you don't install the target headers into /usr/include.

Ah, that's true.  So you're saying that the cross compiler is looking
in a non-standard place for its standard headers, but of course
vanilla makedepend doesn't know about that.

I wonder if you could get away with building your cross-toolchain
staticly linked, and then do everything in a chroot jail that looks
like a native environment for the target platform.

On the other hand, Explicit Is Better Than Implicit.  I would prefer
the approach presented in the makedepend man page, which is to do all
the necessary configuration of CFLAGS and LDFLAGS etc in a variable,
then hand those variables to programs like makedepend and the C
compiler itself.