Re: [tlug] Kubuntu -- KDE4 Removed: SOLVED (!)

CL wrote:

Today's Kubuntu upgrade completely stripped KDE 4.2 from my AMD machine and will not allow me to reinstall it. It says there are hardware issues or that _my_ vendor has chosen not to support it ... I cannot find any specific message that tells me which is the case.

I am being reminded of all the reasons I hate Gnome, but do not have time to strip my HDD and do a complete reinstall. And, no, I don't have a recent image because ... well ... I was making changes and I wanted to include all of them in one backup ... ;-(

Short of crushing the box and starting over with new equipment, anyone have a suggestion for how to find out what is wrong?

Since no one will talk to me, I will talk to myself.

I am back up and running in KDE, now the KDE 4.2.2 beta. With the Kubuntu.org and KubuntuForums.Net sites of no use (the first locked since last Monday and the other off the air, I tried to reinstall of my existing KDE stuff ... and was still stuck with Gnome. After backing up all critical data, I upgraded from Kubuntu 8.10 to 9.04 beta. All of my KDE settings are back, everything is back where it was before the meltdown.

The way everything to do with Kubuntu went dark yesterday morning after the upgrades went out leads me to believe that someone at Canonical intercoursed the canine majorly.

--
CL