Re: [tlug] Re: Long-term Stability Distros

Jim Breen wrote:
> 2009/3/15 Josh Glover <jmglov@example.com>:
>
>> I find Gentoo's package tools *an order of magnitude* better that
>> those of Red Hat or Debian. So it really matters to me not a whit
>> whether Aptitude / dpkg is a little better than yum / RPM.
>>

> The thing that puts me off Gentoo is the compile-everything approach.
> I'm quite happy to have others do the heavy lifting.

Its a tradoff, Your cycles verses CPU cycles.  Gentoo wastes a lot of
CPU cycles but can save you a lot of cycles.

I have to agree with Josh's point about the Gentoo package management.
I don't always agree with the choices Gentoo makes as a distribution
(dumming down the install process, graphical installers etc.) but the
package management system is pretty good.  When I used Debian and Redhat
based distributions I rarely every made packages.  With Gentoo I package
almost everything I install.

Edward