[tlug] Re: Pretty Japanese font for latex-cjk beamer presentation

"Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen@example.com> writes:

> John Fremlin writes:
>
>  > $ pdffonts talk.pdf
>  > name                                 type              emb sub uni object ID
>  > ------------------------------------ ----------------- --- --- --- ---------
>  > NNEHGD+CMSS12                        Type 1            yes yes no      46  0
>  > CUTTMV+dmjkd                         Type 1            yes yes no      47  0
>
> The dmjk* fonts are probably Japanese,

The fonts do have Japanese characters in them. . .

> but the only free scalable Japanese fonts I know of that are
> universally distributed are the Wadalab (sometimes called Watanabe)
> fonts, and they're pretty low quality.

So I guess the J in CJK Latex is a bit sketchy.

> I think that Adobe at least will use its own fonts rather than
> embedded fonts when viewing, but I'm not sure of that.

Why do you imagine that Acrobat Reader will substitute embedded fonts?

Font substitution is only necessary for fonts which are not embedded, as
I understand it(?)