Re: [tlug] Back up files permissions, groups, owners

On 07/03/09 05:24, Dave M G wrote:

> Should I preserve owner, permissions, and/or group settings on the file?
> Is it fine the way it is? Is this not an issue I need to think about?

Put simply, the more you preserve about your data now, the less work you'll
have when it comes to restoring it if you ever need to.

The only thing that can bite you in the rear end is in the event that you
rebuild a system and the user that is you doesn't have the same numerical
UID as you have now. Only the numerical UID and GID are stored in the
filesystem, it's applications like "ls" and the like that read in
/etc/shadow and /etc/group and give the alpha name of the user and group
with that numerical UID/GID.

--
G. Stewart - gstewart@example.com

Maintainer's Motto: