Re: [tlug] Open-source Japan

Gen Kanai wrote:
> On Mar 3, 2009, at 3:00 PM, Noah Watkins wrote:
>> I was recently reading the slides, 'Open-source in China', from
>> O'Reilly's OSCON 2008. And it got me to thinking about what the state
>> of open-source in Japan is. Hopefully some people on this list who
>> are in the trenches can chime in on the topic.
>
> I've been tracking this topic pretty regularly via my blog:
>
> http://blog.mozilla.com/gen/2008/07/16/significant-linux-contributors-from-japan/

If you are looking at acceptance of Open-source in Japan, looking purely
at contributions distorts things because there seems to be a lot more
Open-source consumers who don't contribute back to the projects they
use.  When I purchased a Japaneses car navigation system it came with a
laundry list of open source licenses.  I don't believe the vendor had
directly contributed to any of the projects these licenses applied to.

Edward