[tlug] How to Re-Enable wlan0?

Kubuntu 8.10 on a Lenovo R-61

Because I usually use Ethernet at home -- which is how I am connecting right now -- I didn't notice exactly when in the recent spate of updates that my wireless lan quit working. Of course, I didn't notice until I needed it during a client visit. KNetworkmanager says *wlan0 wireless disabled* and, when the mouse pointer hovers over the icon it reports wlan0 as "down" and eth0 as "activated."

I have this sick feeling that I have missed something basic. But, the wlan0 network connection was working previously and I didn't consciosly do anything to turn it off ... I think.

Despite the how-tos I am still without wifi ... any polite suggestions would be appreciated.

---

checking hardware, I find:

~$ sudo lspci -v

8>< schnitt

03:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 3945ABG [Golan] Network Connection (rev 02) Subsystem: Intel Corporation Device 1013 Flags: fast devsel, IRQ 17 Memory at df6ff000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K] Capabilities: [c8] Power Management version 2 Capabilities: [d0] Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask- 64bit+ Queue=0/0 Enable-

Capabilities: [e0] Express Legacy Endpoint, MSI 00 Capabilities: [100] Advanced Error Reporting <?> Capabilities: [140] Device Serial Number 66-a0-43-ff-ff-3c-1f-00 Kernel driver in use: iwl3945 Kernel modules: iwl3945

I have confirmed that wpasupplicant is installed, then:

~$ iwconfig
lo        no wireless extensions.

eth0      no wireless extensions.

wmaster0  no wireless extensions.

wlan0     IEEE 802.11abg  ESSID:""
          Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.412 GHz  Access Point: Not-Associated
          Tx-Power=0 dBm
          Retry min limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr=2352 B
          Power Management:off
          Link Quality:0  Signal level:0  Noise level:0

pan0      no wireless extensions.

~$ sudo ifconfig wlan0 up
SIOCSIFFLAGS: No such device
and:

~$ sudo lshw

*-network DISABLED
physical id: 2
logical name: pan0
serial: ba:54:c7:c8:2a:93
capabilities: ethernet physical
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=bridge driverversion=2.3 firmware=N/A link=yes multicast=yes
where do I go from here?  I seem to be hitting brick walls.

--
CL