Re: [tlug] Adding latency to network connection

On Wed, 18 Feb 2009 16:49:08 +0900
Edward Middleton <emiddleton@example.com> wrote:

> I have a web application that I am trying to test but our network is
> being a bit to responsive and low in latency.  What I need is to add
> about 500ms latency to all packets going to the server.
[snip]
> Does anyone have any ideas what is happening here, or how one might
> debug this?  Alternately does anyone have a better method or adding
> latency to a network connections?

a few years ago (well, ok... several years ago) I used this tool
to simulate not only network delays, but a variety of conditions:
   http://snad.ncsl.nist.gov/nistnet/

I see that it is still being maintained:
   "NIST Net version 2.0.12 should run on most versions of Linux
    available today. It has been tested on 2.0.xx (2.0.27 - 2.0.39),
    2.2.xx (2.2.5 - 2.2.18), 2.4.xx (2.4.0 - 2.4.18) and 2.6.xx (up
    to around 2.6.11) level kernels."

so it should be easy to install and get it to work.