Re: [tlug] Privacy question - owner settings

Stuart Luppescu writes:
 > On 土, 2009-02-14 at 02:09 +0900, Dave M G wrote:
 > > Is this information in any way attached to the file?

In OA files (wordprocessor, spreadsheet, etc), that stuff is often
attached to the file by the application, independently of the
directory information, which is managed by the OS.  So not directly
related to your specific question about file info in the directory
browser.

 > > Specifically, if I upload it to the interweb, and someone
 > > downloads it on their computer, does it still say "Owner: dave -
 > > Dave Gutteridge"?

 > I doubt it. Ownership and permissions are stored in the directory entry.
 > That wouldn't be transferred when up/downloaded. The downloader would
 > become the owner. The exception might be if the file was part of a tar
 > archive and it was extracted using the -p flag, but even so, only the
 > UID *number* would be preserved. The file would appear to be owned by
 > the person associated with that UID on the local computer.

That's exactly right.  There are other applications which can preserve
such information (cpio, rsync), too, but ordinary copies and web
downloads will not.

 > Willow: You just don't like him 'cause of that time
 >  he beat you  up every day for five years.  Xander:
 >  Yeah, I'm irrational that way.

Oh, God, it's catching!  And with our luck, it'll be resistant to
Tamiflu!  Scott, O Scott, what have you done?