Re: [tlug] Bye to Suse, Hello to Kubuntu & Debian

Lyle H Saxon wrote:

After using automatic update arrangements with RedHat, Suse, & Kubuntu, I suddenly don't know how it's done with Debian (it's not the same, is it?).

I recently saw a package in the Debian repositories that seems to run apt-update automatically like the automatic updates in Red Hat, Suse, etc. The problem is, though, that once you begin to do that, if you are running Testing or Unstable (I know of very few individual users who run the Stable version), eventually there is going to be a broken dependency somewhere, and if you are running your update automatically, you won't be aware of it, and will thus create the same problems you experienced with those other distros.

I would suggest that you just run apt-update manually once every couple of weeks or so, and watch it to make sure it finishes correctly. That should keep you sufficiently updated with all the latest software.

I also don't know how to switch over to KDE and use that instead of the default Gnome, or how to install various packages.

The way I install Debian is to just install the basic system (without any other recommended Desktop/Laptop/X setup). Then reboot and do

   apt-get install x-window-system kdm kde

This will give you a basic system with X and KDE (without Gnome), and you can then add whatever packages you need after that, as you need them.

I have my own personal file of the packages (continually being updated) that I like to keep on my system. I just install these, so I don't need to install all the other junk that gets included in "recommended" installations. I'll attach it below FYI.

Regards,

Chuck

----------------------

# basic, printing, input, alsa, XML/XSL/HTML

apt-get install emacs22-el mew gftp ncftp ispell rsync guarddog unzip zip sudo bzip2 anacron partimage xarchive xarchiver apt-spy unrar-free libc6-dev make ntp xprint-utils cupsys libcupsys2 cupsys-client cupsys-bsd gs-esp foomatic-db foomatic-filters hpijs foomatic-db-hpijs foomatic-gui gcc autoconf libm17n-0 anthy kinput2-canna kinput2-common kanjidic canna-utils canna sane gimp clara sumika unicode-data alsamixergui alsa-utils psgml w3c-dtd-xhtml xlhtml html-helper-mode w3m-img w3m-el w3m xalan xsltproc qt3-qtconfig w3c-markup-validator kterm iceweasel iceape myspell-en-us icedove nxml-mode debiandoc-sgml linuxdoc-sgml w3-dtd-mathml mule-ucs imagemagick wv ppthtml bitmap-mule

# IME

apt-get install uim uim-anthy uim-applet-kde uim-qt uim-qt3 kasumi uim-applet-gnome uim-xim uim-gtk2.0 im-switch

#Fonts and screen

apt-get install psfontmgr emacs-intl-fonts xpdf ttf-sazanami-mincho ttf-sazanami-gothic xfonts-100dpi-transcoded xfonts-75dpi-transcoded ttf-baekmuk ttf-kochi-gothic ttf-kochi-mincho unifont xfonts-baekmuk xfonts-intl-asian xfonts-intl-chinese xfonts-intl-chinese-big xfonts-intl-japanese xfonts-intl-japanese-big xfonts-marumoji xfonts-shinonome gsfonts-wadalab-common gsfonts-wadalab-gothic gsfonts-wadalab-mincho xfonts-intl-asian xfonts-intl-european xfonts-intl-phonetic ttf-arphic-bkai00mp ttf-arphic-bsmi00lp ttf-arphic-gbsn00lp ttf-arphic-ukai ttf-arphic-uming x-ttcidfont-conf ttf-freefont xfonts-ayu xfonts-efont-unicode xfonts-mplus gsfonts-x11 dvi2ps-fontdata-three hbf-kanji48 xfonts-kaname ttf-bitstream-vera xscreensaver

# media, java, openoffice, oxygen, fileshare, emulation
# need ~/debian/ unstable main contrib non-free

apt-get install w32codecs acroread mozilla-acroread openoffice.org-kde ooo2dbk openoffice.org wine sun-java6-jre flashplayer-mozilla swfdec-mozilla mplayer mozilla-mplayer

# Oxygen xml editor
# needs deb http://tei.oucs.ox.ac.uk/teideb/binary ./

tei-oxygen

#remove games and other unwanted

apt-get remove noatun eyesapplet kasteroids katomic kbackgammon kbattleship kblackbox kbounce kenolaba kfouleggs khangman klines kmahjongg kmines kmoon konquest kolf kdegames-card-data kjumpingcube klickety kpat kpoker kreversi ksame kshisen ksirtet ksmiletris ksnake ksokoban kspaceduel ktron ktuberling ktux kwin4 lincity-x kgoldrunner amor atlantik atlantikdesigner kodo

A. Charles Muller

University of Tokyo
Graduate School of Humanities and Sociology, Faculty of Letters
Center for Evolving Humanities
7-3-1 Hongo, Bunkyo-ku
Tokyo 113-0033, Japan

http://www.acmuller.net