Re: [tlug] test of ethernet cable length

* Edward Middleton (emiddleton@example.com) [081120 10:43]:
> > Some CISCO switches seem to have build-in TDR[1] which could do this and
> > more but I can't find any NIC's with built-in support.  What sort of
> > card is this?

it is an onboard NIC. The motheboard is gigabyte X48-DQ6 (see my

> Interesting the keyword is Virtual Cable Tester[1] but I can't find
> anything about Linux support.

hmm, based on the discussion with other people it seems possible that
the bios simply reads the length from some NIC registers.

Also my idea about "special" packet is completely wrong. The delays at
the higher layers of network model would make the measurement too
inacurate.

Also, it looks like Asus have some program which makes such measurements
under windows (giving me a hope, that it may be technicaly possible
under linux too) [1]

Best regards
Michal

[1] ftp://dlsvr02.asus.com/pub/ASUS/lan/rtl8111B/VCT114.zip