[tlug] Standard, or at least most common, Japanese web fonts

TLUG,

I hope this isn't too tangential for the TLUG group.

I'm having a hard time nailing down what would be a good list of fonts to use for sites that use both Japanese and English.

Mainly the problem here is that I have no idea what are standard Japanese fonts that are going to be found across a wide variety of platforms.

There's a further wrinkle in that my web searching has turned up many variant names of fonts. With "MS Mincho", for example, sometimes the kanji name, "明朝" is used. And worse, sometimes it seems to be written in hex code '=EF=BC=AD=EF=BC=B3 =EF=BC=B0=E6=98=8E=E6=9C=9D'. (I think that's hex, isn't it?)

From what I can read of both English and Japanese sites about CSS and fonts, there is a fairly heavy presumption that Windows fonts will be used. But of course I'm looking to also be able to offer Linux users without proprietary fonts a reasonable viewing experience.

So I'm wondering, what fonts would one use for serif and sans-serif fonts for Japanese text that has the highest chance of availability across all platforms?

And does one write them in Kanji, romaji, or hex code?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

-- Dave M G http://tlug.jp/mediawiki/index.php?title=User:Dave_M_G