Re: [tlug] Trouble with external USB hard disk: mount point for old successful mounts: /media/something?

On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 19:28:51 +0900, David Bernat <dbernat@example.com> wrote:

> jep200404 wrote:
>
> > What was the mount point _before the upgrade?
>
> I can't remember--I know that I should have logged the data somewhere,
> but.......

1. Did you specify a mount point, or did you just connect the drive
   and let (K)ubuntu mount it wherever it wanted to?

I formatted a blank USB hard drive on Centos box
with a vfat partition with the volume name "Bernat stuff",
then plugged it into a Ubuntu 8.04 box. After a while a window
popped up asking if I wanted to mount it.
I said yes, and it mounted it at '/media/Bernat stuf'.
Centos' default mount directory was also '/media/Bernat stuf'.
I then wiped the drive and reformatted with a vfat partition
without a volume name. This time both Centos and Ubuntu mounted
it to /media/disk by default.

2. Does /media/something sound familiar?

After you remove the /root/sdb5, /dev/sdc1, and /dev/sdb1 lines
from /etc/fstab as Stephen recommended, and without adding a
new /dev/sdb1 line in /etc/fstab, just plug your USB drive in
and let (K)ubuntu mount it where it wants to mount it,
and report those results. I.e., report the output of mount.