Re: [tlug] Re: Talk about fast HTTP

On Sun, Oct 19, 2008 at 8:47 PM, Curt Sampson <cjs@example.com> wrote:

>> > Really? Why has that changed, and what is it about helping the back-room
>> > folks now that makes them suddenly accept new technology faster and pay
>> > better than they used to?
>>
>> I did not say that they accept new technology.
>
> Ok. So how are you going to get rich from someone with a lot acceptance
> of new technology?

Sorry, I just said first: If you have a way to allow a bank to get his
VAR quicker, you are rich.
New technology is your word, not mine.

>> Budget is a different issue.
>
> Your client's budget is always an issue if you're going to get rich
> from them. If they've got the same budget as before, or possibly even a
> smaller one, and you couldn't get rich before, how do you get rich now?
>
> My thought on the matter is: if you can bring in something great and
> blow away your competitors, traders may well take you up on it. Back-end
> folks won't.
>
> Why will trading groups take you up on it? Because they need to move
> fast to survive. Why won't back-end groups do so? Because they can
> afford to move more slowly and be more conservative, without any great
> loss.

What I said, is that today traders (this is where I work, by the way)
cannot even
move a finger today before having green light from support functions, especially
back-office and control. You obviously know why.
If you follow what is happening, you will understand why banks are so
nervous about VAR.
They are ready now to stop a trading desk if the risk is not well known.

I just said that the importance is moving from front-office (trading)
to back-office (control),
no more.

br.

--