[tlug] VirtualBox Abuse?

Is it possible to install an HDD that already has a complete, running version of XP on it and use VirtualBox to install and run it on my Kubuntu desktop box without reformatting / reinstalling?

All of the reading I have done _seems_ to indicate that the setup of an XP virtual PC will have to proceed from scratch yet I keep running into statements in general discussion groups that it is possible to just point VirtualBox setup at an existing installation and start running it immediately. Anyone done this? Anyone got a step-by-step reference URL?

--
CL