Re: [tlug] Somewhat OT- open source software for US voting machines

On 2008-10-06 12:44 +0900 (Mon), Edward Middleton wrote:

> Well it isn't,  It needs to be open source because you can't have a
> transparent process without it being open source.

If you chose e-voting in the first place. I've been following these
issues fairly closely for quite a few years now, ever since they started
popping up in RISKS, and I really can see no particularly good reason to
introduce e-voting; it always appears to introduce more problems than
fixes.

> > As a matter of fact, it's really not a problem worth spending money
> > on solving. There are some things that are done better by hand and
> > counting election ballots is one of them.
>
> In the US it is not worth solving because the number of people who
> don't vote is more significant then the number who's vote could be
> miscounted with a manual vote.

Actually, it's not "worth solving" becuase the manual counts have a
better assurance of accuracy than any electronic means available to
us at the moment. In other words, electronic voting can only make the
counts more prone to error, not less.

cjs