Mailing List Archive
tlug.jp Mailing List tlug archive tlug Mailing List Archive
[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: [tlug] OLPC G1G1 in 日本国; no WinXP
- Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 21:25:55 +0900
- From: "Kenneth Burling" <email@example.com>
- Subject: Re: [tlug] OLPC G1G1 in 日本国; no WinXP
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org> <48C6D9A4.email@example.com>
On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 5:16 AM, steven smith <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:jep200404 wrote:Interesting though that the picture on the page has an OLPC with the little windows logo on it's screen. :)
OLPC will do G1G1 again. This time, it will be offered worldwide (presumably
Apparently though XPis pretty much DOA.
The issue looks to me like MS is not understanding the target audience for the system.
It appears that their toy (which is what it is at this stage, the favorite toy of a handful of developers) is geared towards the hobbiest at best, and people with way too much money to need a OLPC anyway.
It does not seem to have anything implying that the developers had a clue about what is needed to teach a class in the backwoods boondocks of a small African nation.
Linux has the advantage in that area in that people have been doing cusomized versions for everything from pocket calculators to toasters for years. And I can say this without exageration. :P The cheapest device they ever thought of putting windows on before now was a three hundred dollar cell phone.
Home | Main Index | Thread Index
- Prev by Date: Re: [tlug] OT: Beer Festival
- Next by Date: [tlug] Windows Is Free For Business
- Previous by thread: Windows XP on OLPC (or not) (was: Re: [tlug] OLPC G1G1 in 日本国; no WinXP)
- Next by thread: [tlug] Windows Is Free For Business
Home Page Mailing List Linux and Japan TLUG Members Links