Re: [tlug] Skype on a ThinkPad R61 laptop

David Bernat wrote:

I have downloaded the Kubuntu Linux version of Skype.

Trying to install Skype on my CoreDuo laptop generates
the message "Error: Wrong architecture 'i386'."

I am running the 64-bit version of Kubuntu 8.04 on the
laptop.

Is Skype looking for a 32-bit version of Kubuntu, then turning
surly because it can't always get what it wants?

Specs:

Kubuntu Hardy Heron 8.04 LTS 64-bit
CoreDuo CPU 1.8 GHz
2 GB of RAM

Since I was about to install Skype on a new AMD64 machine, this is very timely

According to Skype Users Forums, and echoed in the Ubuntu Help Guide:

it's really easy to install Skype on 64-bit, though it requires to use command line. Open your favorite terminal application (for Kubuntu it's konsole), then run following to install Skype dependencies (most likely you already have them on Kubuntu though, but for any case):

sudo aptitude install libqt4-core libqt4-gui

Then install the Skype:

sudo dpkg -i --force-architecture <path-to-skype-deb-package>

Of course you'll need to enter your password after first `sudo` command. Hope it helps.

I will be trying this later this morning ... someone stand by with a hose and fire blanket, please.

--
CL