[tlug] Versions -- The Next Stupid Question

Okay, I now have an AMD X2-6400 box with 64-bit Kubuntu installed on the HDD. I would like to preserve as much of the setup I already did on my 32-bit version as possible.

If I backup the installation on my 32-bit (P4) box and restore it to my 64-bit box, have I destroyed the features of 64-bit Kubuntu? Will I only be replacing those items which the 32-bit and 64-bit architecture can both run? I'd considered a selective backup, but I find I can't pick which programs to save and which to download again.

Or is the answer to start from scratch and do everything as a fresh install and transfer the work files only?

--
CL