Re: [tlug] CJK Printing with Fixed Width Font: Keep It Simple Plain Text

On 2008-07-13 11:56 -0400 (Sun), jep200404 wrote:

> Curt Sampson wrote:
>
> > On 2008-07-12 22:31 -0400 (Sat), jep200404 wrote:
> >
> > So why not just start the columns at specific positions on the page,
> > and not worry about the width of individual characters?
>
> I value simplicity.

Me too. That's why I'd rather say, "column N starts at position X"
rather than count characters. :-)

> There certainly are many ways to line up columns,
> from hard tabs characters (with tab stops on the printer)...

Actually, that sounds like an excellent way to do it, to me. I use this
quite frequently in my text files.

> > I've been concentrating on selecting the right font so far,
> > but my focus on fonts might be too narrow, hence the broader
> > question of how to print fixed-width plain text.

Actually, it seemed to me, after reading your previous message, that the
broader question was not fixed-width text, but lining up columns, which
can be done without fixed-width text.

BTW, I don't know much about the software you're using, but I had a
quick look at the library it uses, and it seemed to me I saw something
about a command to ask it to use monospaced text.

cjs