[tlug] Version Questions

Got a couple of new toys -- a ThinkPad R61 and a cheapo AMD X2-6400 box -- and think am going to take the big plunge to full-time Kubuntu with WIN XP running in a VirtualBox. Couple of questions:

I have been told that a Core Duo (in the ThinkPad) machine runs faster if you install the 64-bit version of your favorite *nix OS. Is there any truth to this?

I am assuming that if I _did_ install 64-bit Kubuntu that a VirtualBox would run WIN XP or W2K 32-versions just fine (usual disclaimers about not having access to 64-bit computing power already accepted).

Would anyone care to disabuse me of any / either of these assumptions?

I see some hardware issues looming on the horizon (Skype phone, printer sharing) but will attack them as I need to and will probably sort the desktop first before frustrating myself completely on the laptop.

--
CL