Re: [tlug] There are way too many Linux distros

On 2008-06-23 07:49 +0200 (Mon), Attila Kinali wrote:

> While with linux you can choose from a plethora
> of distributions working on top of the same kernel.

I'm curious about two things.

1. Is this really true? I can just take any Debian kernel and drop
it into a Red Hat system (assuming the same major and minor version
numbers) and everything will still just work?

2. What are the advantages of this? (I.e., of all these different
distributions having the same kernel.)

cjs