Re: [tlug] RMS is at it again

On Sun, Jun 15, 2008 at 8:26 AM, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen@example.com> wrote:
> Marty Pauley writes:
>
>  > What do you mean by that?  I know that RMS is a bit odd,
>
> The problem is not just that RMS is odd.  It's that he says is so
> thoroughly political that nothing he says is more reliable than what
> comes out of the White House.  I only wish I'd stopped listening to
> the latter with a receptive mind when I stopped listening to the
> former.

I am getting more interested in economics at long last, and noticed
one interesting quote about the difference between politics and
economics: politics focusses on the goals and assumed results, while
economics (and any decent science) focusses on mechanisms, effects and
that sort of thing. In other words, a solid chain link by link. If
that train of thought is not there, then regardless of who is talking,
it is not really worthwhile listening is it. On the other hand, votes
and popularity are easier to obtain by specifically *not* thinking
through all avenues for the masses. I personally don't think it is a
good idea to use the stupidity or ignorance of the masses to generate
votes or sympathy for a topic that essentially requires informed
thought and discussion among many participants, but I suppose some
people might be happy to assume that RMS has their best interests at
heart (I actually believe he does, even though I disagree with the
political rhetoric).

FWIW,
            Gernot "who has an opinion that doesn't matter" Hassenpflug